The Butovskii Shooting Range
Address: 2 Yubileinaya Street, Butovo, Moscow
The territory of Butovo was ceded in 1934 to the
The bodies of executed people were often sent directly to Butovo for burial. Until August 1937, they were buried in separate graves, but due to the growing number of corpses, executed victims were soon buried in giant trenches dug out by an excavator. During the height of the Great Terror, around 21,000 people were buried in the Butovskii Polygon. After October 19, 1938, executions were no longer carried out there.
During the Second World War, a prisoner-of-war camp was built close to Butovo's killing field. Since 1995, the territory has been the property of the Russian Orthodox Church and two churches have been erected there: the Church of Holy New Martyrs of the Russians and the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ.