Address: 16 Malye Kamenschiki Street, Moscow
The prison in Moscow's provincial castle for criminals was built in 1804. Later, in 1885, it became the Moscow Provincial Prison. From January 1, 1924, the institution was called the Moscow Taganskii House of Temporary Detention. The prison was demolished in 1958 and a five-story building for the four police officers took its place. Taganka was infamous for the widespread use of physical force to obtain confessions. Starting in the 1920s, many repressed members of the clergy were held in Taganka.