Moscow Labor Camp for Juvenile Offenders
Address: 11 Shukhova Street (former name in the 1920s – Sirotskii (Varvarskii) Lane), Moscow
The Moscow Labor Camp for Juvenile Offenders was built no earlier than 1924 in a building that served as a municipal detention facility from 1913-1917. The children's poor physical and psychological condition made working with them rather difficult. According to a survey conducted by the Moscow House of Labor, only half of the children in labor camps and school-camps were considered psychologically normal, while approximately 61.8% of pupils were classified as mentally retarded.
Despite the legal abolition of the concept of a "prison" for minors, the Moscow Labor House was in fact a real prison.
In 1930, during organizational and financial reforms, the Moscow Labor House was attached to the "Ekspress" Factory and was no longer funded by the state.