Orphanage for “Defective” Children / NKVD Colony for Homeless Children/ Children's Town MONO / Agricultural Colony "Vozrozhdenie"
Address: Novoe Grishino village, Iksha Station, Moscow Region
The village of Novo-Grishino (Novoe Grishino) has been tied to educational institutions since 1904. Moscow's Rukavishnikovskii Orphanage Department was opened there at the beginning of the 20th century, and after the revolution, a shelter for "morally-defective” children was situated there. In 1921, the NKVD Colony for Homeless Children (a labor colony named “Vozrozhdenie”) was established in the village. The MONO town for juvenile offenders replaced the colony in 1927 and reportedly remained at that site until 1940.
After the end of the Great Patriotic War, juvenile convicts from the Ikshinskaya Colony worked there along with German prisoners of war on the construction of an auto-repair factory. Today, Penal Colony №1 of the Office of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia in the Moscow region is located there.