Orphanage No. 1 for the Deaf and Mute

Address: 12 Karmanitsky Lane (previously - Bolshoi Tolstovsky Lane), Moscow

The orphanage for deaf and mute children was opened in this building after 1917. Image from the 1910s. Photograph: PastVu

The orphanage for deaf and mute children was opened in this building after 1917. Image from the 1910s. Photograph: PastVu

The first orphanage for deaf and mute children is mentioned in the list of agricultural school-colonies in the Moscow region no later than in 1928. It was administered by MONO, the Moscow Department of National Education.

The building today. Photograph: Mosday.ru

The building today. Photograph: Mosday.ru

Daria Durneva, Anna Margolis