Saltykovskaya Work Commune / Saltykovskii Orphanage
Address: 16 Novosokolnicheskaya Street, Saltykovka Station, Moscow region
The Saltykovskaya Work Commune was one of the first educational institutions built in the Moscow region during the Soviet era. It was opened on the initiative of Nadezhda Krupskaya, the wife of Vladimir Lenin, immediately after the revolution in 1918. At first, it was a commune for girls, but it was then transformed into an orphanage for both sexes. It was located in a large area consisting of four country houses. The orphanage had its own vegetable patch, where children often worked.
During the Second World War, the orphanage was evacuated to the Chelyabinsk region. It was located there until 1946, when it returned to Saltykovka. The orphanage remained there until 1994 and was then relocated to a new building in the city of Zheleznodorozhny. Nowadays, it is called Neposedy.