Jewish school-colony for children / Orphanage named after the Third Communist International (Jewish) / Jewish exemplary commune for children

Address: 25, Pionerskaya Street,  Malahovka village, Moscow region.

Lunch. M. Chagall (at the centre), B. Shvartsman, the director of the colony (next to Chagall). Source: lechaim.ru

Lunch. M. Chagall (at the centre), B. Shvartsman, the director of the colony (next to Chagall). Source: lechaim.ru

The Jewish colony named after the Third Communist International was established at the beginning of the 1920s. It was often considered as a part of the Malahovka children commune. The colony was concentrated on agricultural activities. It was homestead and self-sustainability  oriented and sought to self-administration. The pupils and their mentors even created their own constitution. Moreover, all of them lived and worked together.

Many representatives of the Soviet Jewish intelligentsia and creative community were often guests there. For instance, famous artist Marc Chagall, who lived with his family nearby, hold classes for the school-colony children until 1922.

Pupils and mentors. M. Chagall seating beneath. Source: Electronic Jewish Encyclopedia.

Pupils and mentors. M. Chagall seating beneath. Source: Electronic Jewish Encyclopedia.

The Malahovka colony was considered as exemplary and progressive and thus was frequently visited by various delegations. Like the vast majority of the “national” schools, the colony was dissolved in 1938.

 

 

Daria Durneva, Anna Margolis