Kolkhoz Orphanage of the Novopetrovskii District
Address: Moscow, Istrinskii District, Village of Novopetrovskoe, Sovetskaya Street 8
The Kolkhoz Orphanage of the Novopetrovskii District was founded in March 1943.
According to the inspection materials of the orphanage dating to 1944, children of soldiers serving at the front lived in the orphanage. Altogether, there were 80 children aged 3 to 11 years old. Despite the attachment to collective farms, 18 collective farms did not supply the orphanage. In general, living conditions were extremely poor at the time of the research: all rooms were infested with bedbugs and 25 children suffered from pertussis. One doctor and a nurse worked in the orphanage. There was not enough furniture – two to four children slept in one bed, even those who were sick. There were practically no chairs and so few tables that children had to eat in turns. However, considering the times, the food was not bad: children received 400g of bread each. The orphanage had its own cow, horse, and a calf, one hectare of potatoes, and half a hectare where other vegetables were grown.
26 children went to school and 14 children passed to the next grade.
The Novopetrovskii Orphanage remains open in the same place.