Novopeskovskii (Novo-Peskovskii) Concentration Camp
Address: 5 Novo-Peskovskii Lane, Moscow
The Novopeskovskii Concentration Camp was opened on May 1, 1919 near the corner of Protochnyi and Bolshoy Novo-Peskovskii lanes (where the British Embassy is now located).
In the autumn of 1919, the camp became a central transit camp—prisoners from different places and institutions were assembled there and then transported to other concentration camps. As a result, the Novopeskovskii camp received prisoners around the clock.
The number of prisoners in Moscow’s largest concentration camp varied: in the beginning, around 300–400 people were imprisoned there; later, there were more than 500 inmates. From May 1919 until January 1920, altogether 5,797 prisoners passed through the camp.
In addition to being assembled and transported to other camps, some prisoners were kept imprisoned there. Among them were not only counter-revolutionaries, but also ordinary criminals. Inhabitants of the village of Tambov formed a separate group. They were peasants’ relatives and family members who were suspected of participating in the Tambov rebellion. According to Tukhachevskii’s command, numerous hostages were imprisoned, as well as Poles and Hungarians (from July 1922).
Shoemaking, tailoring, and laundry workshops were established in the Novopeskovskii Concentration Camp in 1921. A camp theater was also created and is mentioned in sources from 1919. It visited police clubs and other camps to perform its plays.