Editorial Office of “Yunost” (until 1971)
Address: 52 Povarskaya Street (from 1923–1993 Vorovskogo Street), Moscow
Under the chief editor Boris Polevoi, the magazine Yunost ("Youth") published more than 80 of Shalamov’s poems and some of his essays in 1966–1981. No other magazine published this much of his work. Until 1971, the editorial office of the magazine was located in the Writers’ Union building. The building was a former estate of the royal Dolgorukov family. Before moving to Lubyanka in March 1918, this building complex also housed the Moscow Cheka for a short period. In 1932 the estate was transferred to the newly founded Union of Soviet Writers.
At the turn of the 1960s-1970s, the magazine Yunost became the main platform for publishing Shalamov's poems. The first publication appeared in issue ten in 1965. However, Shalamov’s poems were censored for a long time and they waited for publication.