Lefortovskii Arrest House
Address: 13 Starokirochnyi Lane, Moscow
In 1920, suspected thieves and “all illiterate prisoners” were sent there. The arrest house was initially designed for 33 people, but the number of prisoners gradually increased.
The personnel of the arrest house lived on the second floor. There were no workshops, and the prisoners did not work outside the arrest house. Housework was conducted voluntarily. There were plans to organize an envelope-gluing workshop, but at the beginning of the reorganization of arrest houses in 1923, it did not exist.
In October 1923, the Lefortovo Arrest House was closed for renovation, and as a result, its capacity to accommodate prisoners was more than doubled (up to 75 people). After the renovation, an “arrest house for police workers and a site of imprisonment” were set up in this building.