Prison of the Moscow Regional Department of the NKVD
Address: 13 Malaya Lubyanka Street (or 14 Bolshaya Lubyanka), Moscow
In the beginning of the 1920s, the Moscow Cheka moved to house no. 14 on Bolshaya Lubyanka, occupying all the surrounding buildings as well. Cells for pre-trial detention belonging to the regional Cheka and after that the regional department of GPU (State Political Administration) were set up in the main building, which was discontinued in January 1924. Later, a prison of the Moscow Regional Department of the NKVD-NKGB-MGB was located there.
A special department of the OGPU was located in the same buildings. It was responsible for cryptography and decryption, protection of state secrets, as well as supervising the NKVD’s camps of special significance (before the establishment of Gulag camps in 1930).